Tuesday, October 5, 2010

An Art Journal

Ever since I was a little girl, I've had a small nerd crush on journaling.  I've kept a journal for as long as I can remember and started scrapbooking back in 3rd or 4th grade in a wire bound construction paper notebook that I received from a friend for a birthday present.  I like to think that I've evolved quite a bit since then.  Recently, though, I haven't made a lot of time for scrapbooking or drawing or even just my normal therapeutic journaling.  Sometimes even just putting my day into words seems a bit daunting, especially right now when things are sort of stressful.  Oddly enough, these are the days when I really need to get those thoughts down on paper and out of my head so I can rest.  My point is easily demonstrated by the fact that its currently 11:20 pm here and I'm on the computer typing this post instead of sleeping when I need to wake up at 5:30. 

My solution to this problem is an art journal.  This is sort of the best of all of my favorite things to do.  I've kept one before, and really enjoyed it, but it sort of fell by the wayside when other things came up and took priority.  Art journals can be used for pretty much whatever you want.  Writing, drawing, photos, just random bits of life from that day.  A  book that is a bit more flexible with a much smaller work area, which translates into taking up less time.   Right now I'm picturing random quotes and small tidbits about the day and drawings or even paintings to flex my creative muscles even if I only have 5-10 minutes to spare.

Here's what she looks like:
 Horrible photography...sorry.  It's late. :-) And my flowers on the front there are a little smooshed...maybe I'll have to post some more pics tomorrow!
and the inside. 

Super excited to start filling it up and start burning off my excess of creative energy!  And I can add to the paper part in the middle or take it out and replace it with a new one because I made the whole thing.  Not too shabby for a random decision that I made at 9:00 tonight to break out the sewing machine and just get it made tonight. 

Did you do anything creative and/or crafty today?

1 comment:

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!