Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mom Cards

There are a lot of things about being a mom that you have to just learn over time.  One of those being no matter how many times you told yourself that you'd never use your own saliva to clean your child's face, you will inevitably do it.  Just like I did.  Earlier tonight. When my daughter's face was covered in spaghetti sauce and I didn't notice until we were exiting the car at a soccer game.  Better to use that than have her looking like she hasn't bathed in a few days, right?  I usually keep wipes in the car, but again, like most things...they are never around when you actually need one.  Still grosses me out a bit.  But yeah, I do it.  Go ahead cringe.  I do.  But then I move on because, hey, my kid no longer has sauce on her face.

Anyway, enough about that.  My point is, there are just things you figure out along the way.  This is another one of those things.  When you're a mom, sometimes meeting new people and making new friends is hard.  It takes guts to walk up to a stranger at a playground or something and strike up a conversation.  I've done it and it definitely isn't an easy thing to pull a conversation out of thin air.  On the rare occasion that I've had this happen successfully, I've had to scribble down either my or the other mom & child's info on the back of a receipt or some other scrap of paper that was down in the depths of the abyss that is my purse.  Or I used to.  Then I got smart and made some cute cards to keep in my purse for situations like this.  Nope, I'm not a rocket scientist, but believe me this is a life saver!!  I use them for parent-teacher meetings, church, sports practices, and yeah, when I have a lovely chat with a mom at the park who has a kid the same age as mine.  I also belong to a rather large Mom's group in my area and they work great for that too.  I have several designs for these in the works.  Here is one of the more recent ones:



Obviously, this is the front of the card.  It can be done in any color you want.  This turquoise-y color just so happens to be one of my absolute favorites.  

And the back. 

I know people have all sorts of cards these days and sometimes they get kind of lost in the shuffle.  I like having my cards stand out and to keep them simple but memorable so when someone is looking for it, it's relatively easy to spot in a pile.

If you're not a mom, they can be used as just cards with your info on it.  Maybe you're in a book club or a bible study or any number of other activities where it would be helpful to exchange information with other people.  This would come in handy, right?  And it has much less information than a standard business card because well, some people that seem nice, just plain aren't.  And I don't want those people calling me at work.  Or showing up at my house.  Ya know?  If all you want to have on it is an email address, you can do that.  Completely customizable and color-choice friendly.

So what do you think?  Would you hand something like this out to your contacts?


1 comment:

  1. I'm not a mom but I was seriously thinking of getting cards for my writing. You know, something other than those state issued ones I use at work...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!