Sunday, May 27, 2012

Make it Monday #67

Happy Memorial Day weekend! I hope you are having a weekend filled with BBQ's, fun in the sun, and of course in honor and remembrance of those who serve or have served to protect this great nation of ours.   My hubby happens to be on alert this weekend, so we've been very limited in our holiday plans because he has to be within 30 minutes of the base at all times.  The girls and I did attend a birthday party yesterday for a sweet little princess who is turning 4 tomorrow.  I used to babysit her when she was just 6 weeks old up until about a year ago, so she's a pretty special little lady to us.

We also attended a neighborhood party with some other families from our block, complete with burgers, watermelon, and a waterslide.  We were only there for a couple of hours (the party went on all day), but the kids really seemed to enjoy it.

Today, we have had a rather lazy day around the house, doing laundry and such, and watching the Indy 500 race.  I was able to sneak off to my studio to play a little bit and of course had my fall back Make it Monday Challenge to direct what I was going to play with once I got in there.

This week's challenge was to step it up with pattern mixing.  I chose to use a patterned paper pack from the My Mind's Eye Lost & Found collection in the blush color palette.  I purchased it at AC Moore a few weeks ago along with a few of the other color palettes in the collection- it was on clearance.  A lucky find, because I do love this paper...

Anyway...here is the card I came up with:

 The 3 patterns I chose to work with were the black bitty dots, the floral pattern, and the small houndstooth. I started with a soft stone card base, adhered the bitty dots pattern and then topped it with the floral paper.  I then created the top panel using a scrap sheet of Stampin' Up Pink Pirouette cardstock.  (It was a 2008 In Color.)  I used the Pretty Peonies die to cut out Happy, then stamped the birthday from Pretty Peonies in true black ink.  I stamped the happy image from Pretty Peonies on white cardstock and used foam adhesive to mount the pink panel on top of it.  I finished the card off with a flower from my third pattern choice, the houndstooth, that was created using the Notched Flower dies from PTI.  I inked the edges of the flowers just a bit to help them stand out from each other, and topped it with a fun button that I got in my Raspberry Fizz Buttons. I added a little gem from Queen and Co to the center of the button to cover the hole that was there, and added the leaf die cuts cut out of true black cardstock to the back of the flower.

Supplies:

Papertrey Ink:  Dies:
                       Notched Flower Dies
                       Turning a New Leaf Dies
                       Pretty Peonies Die Collection
                       Stamps:
                       Pretty Peonies
                       True black cardstock
                       soft stone cardstock
                       Raspberry Fizz Button
Other:  Stampin' Up Pink Pirouette cardstock, My Mind's Eye patterned paper, Queen and Co. gemstone.

Another great challenge, and while this color combo is much darker than what I normally use, it was a lot of fun to play with!


                   

1 comment:

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!