Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Watercolor!

I'm kind of a school supply nerd.  Even when I didn't have kids I'd raid the back to school section for new crayons, markers, colored pencils, and pretty notebooks.  { I may or may not have a notebook hoarding problem}One of my absolute must-haves when back to school is in session is the watercolor paints. I've never applied my love of water colors to my stamping, however.  Nichole Heady (who I write about all the time) has been using watercolor techniques over the past several weeks and I've  been dying to try it out.  Today she posted a challenge to use watercoloring in a project.  I made two.  Again.  Well...actually I made 4 watercolor paintings, but 2 of them became cards.  For now. *wink*


For this card, I was going for a bit of an ombre effect.  I used Pure Poppy, Raspberry Fizz, Berry Sorbet, Orange Zest, and Summer Sunrise inks.  I don't have any of the ink refills so I used my acrylic block and just tapped the ink pad directly on the surface of my block several times.  I then used a paint brush dipped in water to pick up the color.  Worked beautifully.  When all was said and done with my painting, I decided it looked like a sunset, so I wanted to use something "sky" related.  This little sun from Scattered Showers addition worked perfectly along with the sentiment from Half & Half.  I die cut the circle from the Limitless Layers 1 3/4 inch circle die set { it reminds me of the sun from Tangled } from Harvest Gold paper and stamped the sun in Summer Sunrise.  I then went over the sun and surrounding paper with some "watercolor" summer sunrise ink and toped it with a lemon tart button with a jewel attached.  The Half and Half dies and stamp were used for the tag along with some of the Melon berry polka dot ribbon. The sentiment is stamped in Raspberry Fizz with the little swirl in Summer Sunrise.  I attached everything to a vintage cream card base and that was it. These colors make me so happy.  Read on to my next post for my other watercolor masterpiece.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!