Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Gearing up for Halloween

Confession time...I am not usually a Halloween crafter.  I know.  I know.  I just haven't really gotten into it because we have never really gone crazy with decorating our home for Halloween.  I have made little Halloween treats for the kids classes in the past, but they weren't anything very fancy.  That is really the extent of it. I do decorate for Fall in general, and I go pretty nuts over Christmas, Valentine's day, and the 4th of July, but never really for Halloween.

Well I decided that I need to change that because there are SO many adorable Halloween themed things available.  So today I worked on a couple of projects to get my feet wet.  One of them you'll have to wait until tomorrow to see, read on to see the other.

Ok, so I baked some really delicious cookies yesterday- they are M&M cookies and the recipe is one that I found on Pinterest that is from Picky Palate.  The title was "Perfect M&M Cookies"...I checked it out and they are Ahhhh-mazing.  Click on my pinterest link in the side bar and if you go to my Good Enough To Eat Board you'll find the link to the recipe.  I highly recommend it.

Now one of my favorite things about Halloween?  The treats.  Seriously.  Not so much the tricks.

So what better way to get my feet wet with Halloween crafting than to come up with some packaging for some treats?!


I have about a MILLION of these lunch sack type bags in a variety of colors- black, purple, green, orange, red, white... that I got for free from a company I used to work for.  They were just going to throw them away! Nope- they came home with me.  And they have been sitting in a box untouched.  A travesty.  Well when we moved here to our new home and I was going through and unpacking- I came across them and will be putting them to good use!  Today is the first -of most likely many- project that I created with one of these bags.

So first things first,  I trimmed about 2 inches off the top of the sack to make it a little shorter.  Then I used a Martha Stewart border punch to put a fancy edge on the top of the sack.  Next up? Decorating.

I used my well-loved Polka Dot basics set and stamped the largest dots in Winter Wisteria on just a white base.  I then stacked that on top of a black mat to make it stand out more. I added a doily just because it's pretty.  Next, I used my trusty old paper crimper and crimped up a strip of Limeaid Ice.  I used a large square punch to make the banner edges on it.  I topped that off with a black square that I just trimmed on my paper trimmer to be slightly larger than the Limitless Layers squares dies.  Topped that off with some limitless layers die cuts that I stamped using the Tiny Treats: Halloween.  These little monsters are SO cute.  I have had this set forever and haven't really played with it as much as I should have.  Darn that whole not crafting for Halloween...

I trimmed out 2 little monsters from winter wisteria and limeaid ice and added them using dimensional adhesive.  They sort of remind me a little bit of minions...
I added the Happy Halloween sentiment and finished it off with some pretty purple bling that I purchased at Walmart- Studio G makes them.  The pack of them was $.97 I believe.

Pretty cute, I think! I did go with a non-traditional type color scheme with the green, black, and purple, but it suits the monsters so well!

Obviously when Halloween rolls around I'll have a fresh batch of cookies to include in the gift- but at least the bag is all done and ready to go!

Do you do a lot of Halloween crafting?  I just ordered a couple other Halloween themed items that I'm excited to get to play around with, so I'm sure you'll be seeing more around here in the coming weeks!

Make sure you come by again tomorrow- I have a much more ambitious project to share!

Have a great day!!
Supplies:
Cardstock: Basic Black- Stampin' Up, Stampers Select White, Winter Wisteria, Limeaid Ice- Papertrey Ink
Ink- Basic Black- Stampin' Up, Winter Wisteria- Papertrey Ink
Stamps- Polka Dot Basics, Tiny Treats: Halloween - Papertrey Ink
Other:  Paper bag, Paper Crimper (Fiskars), Doily, Ribbon (Offray), Gems (Studio G), and Limitless Layers Squares dies- Papertrey Ink.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh these are SO cute!! I know what you mean about Halloween - I'm not a fan either. You used one of my favorite images from TT- Halloween. I really like the Winter Wisteria and Limeaid Ice together too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute treat bag, Erika! I'm not a huge halloween crafter either....

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are adorable! I love Halloween and crafting for it. This was the perfect project to get your feet wet. Great Halloweeny color choices!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!