Friday, September 27, 2013

Make It Monday #133

Hello! Hello!

Going to just jump right into things today because my house is a DISASTER! My two micro-tornado-trapped-in-a-child's-body girls have just left their crazy all over the place.  Clothes, shoes, nail polishes, random socks, My Little Ponies, Basketball duffle bag cast offs (eew!)...you name it and it's strewn around our downstairs.  Typically that would be their mess to clean up, but I just can't look at it anymore! *Gasp! You know it's bad when it's bothering me!  Right, hubby?!  Right, college roommate?!  Right, Mom?!

So yeah...gotta go clean.

But first- a new Make It Monday challenge went live over at Nichole Heady's blog on this past Monday.  While I LOVED the idea right away to make flocked backgrounds with the dimensional paste (something I hadn't ever tried before), I was kinda bummed out because I didn't have the stuff and the town where we live doesn't have a craft store-- don't get me started...it doesn't even have TARGET!-- and the closest one is about an hour away.  I just didn't have that kind of time this week to make the trip, so I thought I'd have to pass this week.  Thankfully, Danielle posted a link to this blog in the forums, with a tutorial to make your own! Hooray!

I followed the directions she had posted there, except it was kinda runny...so I added quite a bit more flour- I didn't measure it, I just kept adding til I got the consistency I wanted.  And then I added some mint colored acrylic paint because I didn't have any re-inkers to add for color.  The color came out perfect- very very close to Aqua Mist (my tied-for first place favorite with Raspberry Fizz).

So here's my card!


I unfortunately do not own any cover plates yet.  I just ordered my first one and it's supposed to get here tomorrow, but we have a super busy weekend planned so I wasn't sure if I'd have time to play with it for this challenge.  I improvised and used a studio calico mask- it's intended for the Mister Huey's but it worked well for this too.

For the flowers, to get the lighter ones, I just stamped the image again without re-inking.  To make the arrows, I stacked double ended banner die cuts that I ran through twice in varying lengths.



This was SO much fun. I loved playing with this technique and I am looking forward to making some more fun backgrounds.  I love the texture that it adds!


Have a wonderful day! Thanks for spending a few minutes of it with me.

Oh and PS- HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my big sister, Stacey!

Supplies:
Cardstock: Aqua Mist, Select Stampers White, Melon Berry, Kraft- all Papertrey Ink
Ink: Melon Berry- Papertrey Ink, Chocolate Chip- Stampin' Up
Stamps: Rosie Posie, Rosie Posie Step 2, Mega Mixed Messages- all Papertrey Ink
Other:  DIY dimensional Paste, Mint acrylic paint, Chevron Huey Mask by Studio Calico, Double Ended Banner & Rosie Posie dies by Papertrey Ink, and Enamel dot by My Mind's Eye for Studio Calico.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, your card came out great - love your colors and layout! Thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I really love the colors and the design too - SO beautiful! Thanks for trying the technique and playing along!
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card, love these colors together, very rustic. I like how the Design Team is coming up with such creative challenges now every week, I certainly never thought I would be making a card using flour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet. I love the design great matching of color
    Have a great day
    DIANA L.
    dianamlarson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card, Erika. I love the mix of graphics and flowers. And your color combination is eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card!! you did a super job on your texture. The colors are so pretty together. Love that stamp set and every time I see it used I think I must get it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!