Wednesday, September 25, 2013

September Blog Hop- Papertrey Ink- Post 1

Mike, Mike, Mike, Mike...what day is it?!  It's HUMP- da-ay! Woot-Woot!!

It's also Papertrey Ink blog hop day! Hooray!  I haven't participated in a while, but super excited to play along today!  The theme for this month is Wreaths.

I have actually created 2 different projects for this theme.  One is a card that I'll show in my next post, and the other is actually a door decoration. Here is my Halloween wreath that I made out of paper.  It's hung on the outside of our downstairs restroom door.



Want to see how it came together? I'll give you a hint...it's lots of die-cutting!

First, I die cut 12 of these layerz mat stack 4 dies out of white cardstock.

Next, I stamped them using the Modern Woodgrain Mats stamp set in Summer Sunrise and Black ink- 6 of each color. I used the larger die because I wanted that large white border.  If you don't want such a thick border, you can use the regular size.


Using my scor-pal, I then scored each of the layerz mat stack #4 die cuts straight down the middle.  I folded on the score lines for half of each color, so 3 of each I went ahead and folded on the score lines.  So you'll have something that looks like of like a bunch of butterfly wings.  I then used scor-tape to adhere the folded ones to the flat ones using the score line on the flat piece to line it up.  Once you have it all stuck down, you can fold the bottom piece backwards just to give it a little dimension.

Now, adhere all of your pieces together in a round shape.  I did this by lining up the little side points on each one and connecting the pieces with small bits of scor-tape. I used the scor-tape because it's strong, but you could also probably use just a regular tape runner or glue dots.


I wanted to add a little something to the middle of each "point" of the circle, so I die-cut the smallest of the Mat Stack 6 in black.  You'll need 6 of them to go around the wreath.  I adhered those to the back of my wreath and then started decorating the center.  I used a doily, the details dies, and limitless layers circles to make mine.  I stamped BOO from the Headline Alpha and a couple little bats from Tiny Treats: Halloween to the topmost circle. I like that they are kind of Peeking around the outside of the circle.


 I also added a little bling for just a touch of sparkle.


And here is the finished project. I punched a hole and added some fun bakers twine to hang it.


I just ordered the Polka Dot Parade #7 and I think that little ghost would look so cute on here- It hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, I might add him on here too. Even without the little ghost, though, this is a fun Halloween decoration.

I would LOVE to see what you come up with if you decide to make one of these little wreaths for yourself! It can be adapted in a lot of different ways. I'm already envisioning another one for Christmas and one for Valentine's day! Please comment with a link to your project so I can see it.  I would also love to hear what you think of the tutorial- yay or nay for future posts?

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my wreath project.  Like I mentioned earlier, I also have a Wreath card in my next post, so be sure to check that out too as you continue on your hop!





Supplies:
Cardstock: Basic Black from Stampin' Up, Stampers Select White from Papertrey Ink, Canyon Clay from Papertrey Ink
Ink: Basic Black from Stampin' Up, Summer Sunrise from Papertrey Ink
Stamps: Headline Alphabet, Tiny Treats: Halloween, Modern Woodgrain Mats all by Papertrey Ink
Other:  Doily, Scor-Tape, Scor-pal, Gems (Queen and Co), Dies- Layerz Mat Stack 4, Doily Details, Mat Stack 6 and Limitless Layers Circles by Papertrey Ink.  

9 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Erika!! Thanks for sharing the tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! Would have never thought of using those Mat Stacks with the woodgrain stamps that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh - this is an awesome Halloween decoration! The most creative use of a Mat Stack I've ever seen. And I think you idea about adding the ghost would be so cute! Great take on the Blog Hop theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally awesome Halloween wreath, Ericka! Love it and what an great way to use mat stacks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooops, sorry about my spelling. Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get out! Mat stacks???? How creative! Perfect door wreath for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a creative way to make a wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very clever, Erika! Who knew those dies would make a good wreath? The woodgrain is a nice touch, and those small black dies to fill in the gaps. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun project!! So clever and festive!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!