Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Yay! It's your birthday!

Hello from Oklahoma!

Been quiet around here again- this time for a good reason! Our family has relocated to a new hot, hot, hot home on the range!  Moving from South Carolina, you'd think we would be accustomed to heat- but yeah, this is an entirely different variety so it's taking a bit of time to get acclimated.

Here's a little peek of some of the decorating I've been doing...
These are Billy bookcases from Ikea.  We are still going to add some trim and probably do some fun color on the back panels, but for now, this is what they look like and I love, love, LOVE them.

We are pretty settled into our little home on base, the kids are loving school and I get to be a stay at home parent for the time being- super excited about that because that means I have more time to do the things that I love to do- spend lots of quality time with my gorgeous girlies, log lots of exercise, cook, bake, and of course- craft! Check out these yummy snickerdoodle cookies I made! First time ever for this kind of cookie - I know...but they turned out fantastic! (I'll share the recipe I used tomorrow!)




I've been a little under the weather this week.  Spent most of this past weekend curled up on the couch.  Felt good Monday so I did some cleaning, and then Tuesday hit the wall again and spent all day on the couch again with a box of tissues and a cozy blanket.  The hubster is flying this morning and has class tonight, so I had no choice but to suck it up and get myself moving today.  I'm glad I am up and moving around, even if I have extra strength Tylenol cold and sinus to thank for it.  I don't get sick often, but when I do...it's ugly.


Anyway, September is a busy month in my family/friend circle.  Lots of birthdays, anniversaries, & celebrations. I made this card today to stick in the mail for a special someone's birthday.



I started out with a card base of Aqua Mist cardstock. I stamped the happy sentiment from Stylish Sentiments: Birthday in a repeat pattern.  Next, I embossed a strip of Berry Sorbet cardstock in my big shot with an older embossing folder from cuttlebug- D'vine Swirl.  I die cut the large label from Celebrations out of Vintage Cream cardstock and then stamped it with the Yay! sentiment from the same Stylish Sentiments stamp set in berry sorbet ink.  I added some of the swirls from the celebrations set to finish it off and adhered it on top of the embossed strip.

To make the embellishment, I punched out two stars using my big star punch and stamped them with stars from Star Prints.  I stacked them on top of each other and used a silver brad to attach them together.  I modified the brad by adding a little gemstone from Queen & Co. and then attached it the stars to my card with some foam adhesive.

The inside of the card was stamped with another large sentiment from the Stylish Sentiments set and the little star that is also included in that set.


Ready to pop it in the mail and send someone very very dear to me some birthday cheer.  It's hard being so far away from all of our friends and family and starting over as the "new" girl.  The absolute worst part about being a military family.  Before long we will have lots of friends here too, though, so it has it's good sides, I suppose. Check back in tomorrow to get that yummy recipe for the snickerdoodles- they're a huge hit with the kids and hubby.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!