Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Make It Monday #137

Apparently I blinked and it's already Tuesday night.  This week is just a-flyin' by.  We are preparing for Will's 2nd iron man race coming up this weekend in Austin, so our house is a whirlwind of activity.  On top of that, it's Red Ribbon Week at school, so the girls have to wear "themed" outfits each day.  For example, today was Camo Day. Hayley informed me that if we couldn't find anything acceptable to wear for the theme, we must go buy something.  Yeah...my girls don't so much wear camo so that one was interesting. I wasn't about to go buy her something that she'd probably never wear again.  Hayley happened to have a pair of yoga pants with a butterfly pattern that resembled camo in pink, white, and a soft green...so she ended up wearing those and took along Will's camo uniform hat just in case her pants didn't fit the bill.  I was thinking to myself that surely the other girls wouldn't be all decked out in camo gear. None of my friends little girls had camo outfits that I was aware of.  I went to pick her  up and boy, was I ever wrong! A crowd of Camo-clad elementary students came pouring out of the building like they were storming the gates of a hunting convention.  A couple girls had on head to toe camo coveralls and hats and coats and boots - that actually fit them!!  Made a mental note that camo is in fact a very big deal here in Oklahoma, but H was happy to report that her pants did count, so she didn't have to wear daddy's hat (that may or may not be waaaaay too big for her little head). I guess the fact that my mom was a single parent when I was growing up didn't lend itself to me being outdoorsy in that way.  My mom's idea of roughing it was staying at a hotel that didn't have 24 hr. room service available.  I thought I was doing pretty well with my girls- we camp- in tents.  We fish.  We go to state parks, etc., but we don't take the girls hunting.  So maybe I've done them some sort of disservice by not decking them out in camo gear and making them sit silently in a duck blind a- la- the Robertson clan...but I'm okay with that.  And well...since butterfly print pants count as camo for things like this, I guess I'm off the hook. Crisis averted.

Now onto the Make it Monday challenge this week!

The challenge this week is to create a dimensional leaf wreath. You can check out the video here at Nichole Heady's blog.

Here is the card I came up with.


I don't have many "leaf" stamp sets, so I used the Turning a New Leaf dies and just cut them apart and arranged them around a circle template to resemble a wreath.  Then I die cut and stamped the mums from Mums the Word in Pure Poppy, Summer Sunrise, and Orange Zest.  I had a couple leaf die cuts from Autumn Acorns left over from another project so I incorporated those too.

The sentiment is stamped on a double ended banner die cut and a layered die cut of the word You from the Wonderful Words die set in Dark Chocolate and Summer Sunrise.  I adhered everything to a layered card front of vintage cream and some of the bitty dot patterned paper and then attached that to my kraft card base.  This card measures 5.5 in. square.


It was fun to do a card that is a little larger in scale and to try to utilize the dies and supplies I had on hand to fit this challenge.  Go take a look at the video and give this one a try yourself!

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

Supplies: (All Papertrey Ink unless otherwise specified)
Cardstock: Kraft, Vintage Cream, Simply Chartreuse, Dark Chocolate, & Bitty Dot patterned paper
Ink: Summer Sunrise, Pure Poppy, Orange Zest, and Dark Chocolate
Stamps: Mums the Word and Gratitude Journal
Other: Dies- Double ended banner die, Mums the word dies, Turning a new leaf dies, Autumn Acorns dies, and Wonderful Words Dies; Enamel Dot- My Minds Eye for Studio calico

10 comments:

  1. Turning a New Leaf and those beautiful Mums work perfectly as a wreath with dimension, Erika! Your card is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO pretty! I love how bright and cheery your card is too...well done! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vibrant colors! Great idea to add the mums. Beautiful wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you took non traditional leaves and created this gorgeous wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wreath has great dimension! Beautiful colors, love the square card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to work the turning a new leaf dies. Don't you feel a sense of accomplishment when you can make what you have on hand work? Something like those butterfly camo pants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you color combinations! Cute card

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty card with wonderful colours

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!