Monday, January 6, 2014

Back to reality

It's the Monday that every parent with school aged children both looks forward to and dreads at the same time.  The first day back to school after winter break.  After 2 weeks of sleeping in, staying up late, traveling, cuddling, laughing, playing, listening to them bicker...it was time to get back into a routine.  Getting them to bed before 10 was challenge #1.  Oops.  Guess I should've started that whole "get back into the swing of things" deal a few days ago.  I did get them both showered and in PJs on time- they have to be in their beds by 8 on school nights and then they can have TVs on or books out for an hour as long as they stay in bed and are quiet.  Well last night when I wandered up at nearly 11, H was in C's room wide awake, and C was passed out on top of a copy of Catching Fire.  Got them both situated and 20 min later, Cait gets up and says she feels like she's going to be sick.  Guh-reeeaaat.  So that went on for a little while and then she finally gets to bed.  Fortunately for them, they both popped up out of bed this morning at their 6 AM wake up call and didn't give me any of the usual grief about it being too early.  Cait was even fully dressed with 30 minutes to spare before it was time for the bus.  That never happens.  She usually has to scarf down her breakfast and make a run for it because she's a dawdler in the mornings.  But today, we even had time to curl her hair!!  It's a miracle.  Happy New Year to me.  H is usually a morning person, so she was pretty easy, with the exception of one small battle about purple sparkly dress shoes when it was 13 degrees outside.  So she wore them with socks.  Ridiculous...but she was happy and her feet were warm and since they don't go outside when it's colder than 34 degrees outside, she'll be indoors all day anyway.

Now that they aren't here and I'm back to an empty house, I miss having them here.  We were going a little stir crazy because they had colds and I didn't want to take them out and infect other people the last couple days.  So there was quite a bit of bickering and the whole "She touched me", "she won't stop looking at me", and all going on, but aside from that, I miss them being here.  But on a positive note, I was able to sit and sip my coffee and watch the new Make It Monday video over at Nichole's blog without being interrupted.  I was able to have a phone conversation! I was able to pick up the kitchen without turning around 3 minutes later to another mess.

 That part, I like :-).

I will share my Make It Monday card tomorrow, but til then, I have a couple other cards to share that I made with some of the new goodies my hubby got me for Christmas.

For both of these cards, I used the new Happy Hearts stamp set.


I started out by doing a really simple one layer card. I love the look of the gold embossing on just about everything lately, so I did that again here and then went back and layered on some red embossing as well with the chevron heart image.



Love that shine.  It's even more sparkly looking in person.  And the scripty font of the Love stamp from The Best is Yet to Be just makes my heart happy.


The inside didn't go untouched on this one. I added a sentiment from the Best is Yet to Be on the inside as well and embossed it with the gold filigree powder too.

For the next one, I went with the cover plate and then just placed cardstock behind the die cut in all of the pinks and reds that I have (excluding autumn rose because it didn't look quite right in the mix).


This is my favorite sentiment from the Happy Hearts set.  Love it.  The new dies from last month's release are amazing.  This cover plate is awesome. This is in it's most basic use and it's still fantastic- I'm excited to dig in and get more creative with it but I was just dying to try it out so I went with simple the first time.

Really love this time of year for new products.  While I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's day in general, I love celebrating love.  Every. Day.  For my husband, my kids, my friends & family.  These kinds of cards are my favorite.  If you have a card type that you tend to make the most, I'd love to hear about it! Maybe you'll inspire me to try something new!

Have a great day!!


Supplies:

Embossed Love:
Cardstock: Kraft
Stamps: Happy Hearts, The Best Is Yet To Be
Ink: Versamark
Other: Gold Filigree Embossing powder, Rouge Zing Embossing powder

One Heart:
Cardstock: White, Sweet Blush, Melon Berry, Berry Sorbet, Hibiscus Burst, Raspberry Fizz, and Pure Poppy
Stamps:  Happy Hearts
Ink:  True Black
Dies:  Cover plate: Hearts

3 comments:

  1. Lovely cards, Erika. the gold embossed hearts and sentiment are so rich looking.
    Your cover plate card is very colourful and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Happy Hearts cards! Especially your ombré card. The sentiments in that heart set are just beautiful, and you used my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!