Thursday, February 6, 2014

Make it Monday #151 + PTI 7th Anniversary Day 1 Challenge

Is there a "bah-humbug-ish" expression for Winter time?  Ick.  I am in serious need of some warmth and vitamin D, STAT.  Woke up to -9 degree temps and snow falling.  While I love the look of a pretty snow fall, we had to do work/school this morning.  No delays or anything.  When I was out and about for my meetings on Tuesday, everyone was commenting about how this is not a typical winter here, that they've hardly ever gotten snow, and so on. However, this is our 5th snow fall since we moved here and they are calling for record breaking low temps tomorrow.  So yeah, go away winter.  We have had enough of you.  I know that my midwestern friends and family are laughing at me for this.  They have had massive snow storms and have been snowed in for days and all of that, so me complaining about a few inches when I spent a majority of my life in Chicago and then Indianapolis is pretty funny. But in my defense, I've spent the past 7 years in Charleston, where it's hot and humid for most of the year.  So this is like temperature shock.

To pull myself out of the winter blahs, I made some cards with some bright, un-wintery color palettes!  First up, this week's Make It Monday Challenge (#151).


This week's challenge was to use drop shadows with die cuts.  I have had this Mighty Oak stamp set and die since they were released, but shockingly this was my first time to use them.  I started out with a base of Raspberry Fizz this time, and I die cut the Mighty Oak die using first Kraft and Dark Chocolate cardstock and then again with Limeaide Ice and New Leaf.  Instead of using the tree die from the stamp set, I stamped my kraft tree with one of the Background Basics: Woodgrain images.  I also stamped the Raspberry Fizz card base with a Background Basics: Woodgrain stamp. I stamped the leaves in Limeaide Ice ink and then set about layering up my die cuts and arranging them on the card.  I used the die cut negative as a template to place the leaves.


To finish off this card, I die cut the Stitched Pinked Edge label die from Hibiscus Burst and Select Stampers White and stamped it with a sentiment from Signature Series: Cupcake in Dark Chocolate ink.


Supplies: (All PTI)
Cardstock: Raspberry Fizz, Kraft, Dark Chocolate, New Leaf, Limeaide Ice, Hibiscus Burst, Select Stampers White
Stamps:  Mighty Oak, Signature Series: Cupcake, Background Basics: Woodgrain
Ink:  Raspberry Fizz, Kraft, Dark Chocolate, Limeaide Ice, New Leaf
Dies: Mighty Oak, Stitched Pinked Edge Label


Next up, I created a card for the Anniversary Day 1 challenge using the recipe cards, so I am also linking this post up there.

I chose the color recipe of New Leaf, Hawaiian Shores, Hibiscus Burst, Aqua Mist, and Pure Poppy.

And this sketch recipe:


For this card, I started with a white card base that I ran through my big shot and embossed the Cover Plate: Hexagons to create some interest on my background.  I used the Boutique Borders Birthday frame stamped in New Leaf Ink on Aqua Mist cardstock and then cut it in half to form the border accents as suggested on 

the recipe.  
I used The Sweet Life stamp set to create my flowers, stamped first in Hibiscus Burst and then the next step in Pure Poppy.  The leaves were stamped in Hawaiian shores ink and then the next step was stamped with New Leaf.  My sentiment is from Signature Greetings II.


Using sketches and color combos that are already planned out definitely makes the card-making process go much faster! This card came together in only a few minutes.  


Supplies: (All PTI)
Cardstock:  Select Stampers White, Aqua Mist
Stamps: The Sweet Life, Boutique Borders: Birthday, Signature Greetings II
Ink: New Leaf, Hawaiian Shores, Hibiscus Burst, Aqua Mist, Pure Poppy
Dies: Boutique Borders: Birthday, The Sweet Life, Cover Plate: Hexagon
I am looking forward to the rest of the challenges that will be announced for PTI's anniversary countdown! Should be lots of activity here on the blog as I play along!

Have a great day, friends! Stay warm!!!!





2 comments:

  1. The second card is lovely! I love the colors you used and the embossed hexagon backround is gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. That is the same color and sketch that I used.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting! I LOVE reading each and every comment!